What Age is Child Therapy Appropriate?
Clarity provides child counseling and therapy to children ages birth - 11 years old in the Wilmington NC area. We also have practitioners who specialize in Play Therapy, a specific type of child therapy. Click here to learn more about play therapy.
How Do I Know If My Child Needs Therapy?
As children grow, they are constantly developing the social skills and emotional intelligence necessary to lead healthy, happy lives. When children experience emotions or engage in behaviors that interfere with their happiness and ability to thrive, they may benefit from meeting with one of our counselors at Clarity Counseling Center.
What Are Session Like?
Sessions are typically 45-60 minutes long. Parents and children often attend the first counseling session together, as therapy can be a safe space in which to address the thoughts, feelings, and emotions experienced by all members. After your first session your therapist will use their clinical discretion and feedback from the parents to formulate a tailored plan of action moving forward. The frequency and who attends sessions depends on the child's age, issues involved, and other variables. Two typical scenarios are:
1) Several, how many depends on severity and issues involved, 'child only' sessions in a row then a 'parents only' session for feedback, step by step plans, and resources.
2) Another common scenario involves 'hybrid' sessions', where a portion of the session time is spent with the child and the rest with the parent.
Your therapist can help you decide which is best for you! Click here to contact us if you'd like more information.
What types of issues are addressed in Child Therapy?
- Academic Underachievement
- Acting Out
- Behavioral Issues
- Conduct Disorder
- Divorce Issues
- Incessent Crying
- Lack of internet in play
- Low Self-Esteem
- Oppositional Defiant Disorder
- Peer Relationship Issues
- Parent with Chronic illness
- Relationship Issues
- Separation Anxiety Issues
- Trouble at School
- Trouble at Home